Adventure Women; why sun protection is paramount
KINeSYS is a proud National Partner of the 2020 Women's Adventure Film Tour - North America. For more information, click here.
For those of us who hear the call of adventure, there is complete certainty in what moves our soul. We love the outdoors, we are drawn to the mountains, forests, and oceans. To the landscapes that inspire creativity... to the path less travelled. We crave the feeling of movement with purpose and the adventure which lies in each new experience. But our endeavors leave us exposed to nature's forces; wind, rain, gravity...and sunlight.
Spending quality adventure time in the outdoors means we are particularly prone to sun damage, including sunburn, premature aging, and even skin cancer. Though the consequences are not as immediate as many risks we face, protecting against sun damage is of vital importance.
What exposure to the sun means for your skin
UV radiation affects us in every location on our planet, during every month of the year. Exposure contributes to premature aging, wrinkles, and skin damage, including skin cancer and melanoma.
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the Australia. As women who love adventuring outdoors, the risks are very real.
Busting pervasive sun exposure myths
- A Safe Tan - One of the most persistent and dangerous myths you’re likely to hear is the ‘base tan’ myth. This is the idea that by developing a light base tan, your body is being protected by its own ‘natural sunscreen’. Tanning is the result of the skin’s exposure to UV rays, which damage the skin and cause a mutation in the DNA. This means that even the slightest tan is an indication of existing damage.
- Winter exposure is safe - In winter, UVB rays, which cause sunburn, can be weaker than they are in summer. However, the UVA rays which cause wrinkles, premature aging and skin damage, including cancer, are just as strong during the colder months.
If you love to chase powder, climb ice, or have an alpinist spirit... you need to love sun protection. UV radiation is especially strong in the mountains, as its concentration is increased with altitude.
"With every 300 meters increase in altitude, UV levels increase by 4% to 5%."
How to live an adventure-filled life and stay protected from the sun
As women, we often look after everyone around us before thinking about ourselves, so sun protection needs to be easy and not impact our outdoor pursuits.
- Incorporate sunscreen application as part of your daily routine.
- Use a high-performance, quality sunscreen designed with athletes in mind. When outdoors re-apply every 2 hours (or every 80 minutes when sweating).
- Check peak UV times at your destination as UV levels and times can vary greatly depending on location. Climbing, riding, hiking, surfing, and biking during these hours will greatly increase your chance of sun damage. When possible choose shaded trails during peak UV times. Remember that 80% of UV passes through clouds, overcast does not equal shade.
- Cover up where you can: wear clothing that protects your skin, the more you cover the better, and choose fabrics that are made from close-knit fibers with a high UPF rating.
- Get regular skin checks: Don’t forget to head to your Doctor or Dermatologist for regular skin checks, as picking up on any potentially dangerous skin spots early is incredibly important.
What makes a great Outdoor Adventure Sunscreen
KINeSYS is a National Partner of the Women’s Adventure Film Tour. Our high-performance sunscreen has been protecting women who love the outdoors for 25 years.
The key to our formulas is in the things that are not put in. KINeSYS non-aerosol spray is an alcohol-free and oil-free sunscreen. They are designed to go on easily, absorb quickly, and leave no oily residue.
More reasons why KINeSYS Spray Sunscreens are the best sunscreen for outdoor adventure;
- UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum Protection
- No Greasy, Sticky Residue, won’t affect grip
- Suitable for use under or over makeup
- Vegan & Cruelty Free
- Water & Sweat Resistant up to 80 Minutes
- No parabens, PABAs, preservatives, colorants or Oxybenzone
- Clear spray sunscreen dries quickly to a matte, silky finish
- Won't run into eyes and sting
- Vitamin E enriched nourishes the skin